Tuesday, November 20, 2012
During the holiday season, many people travel to spend time with relatives. Here are some best practices to protect your home when you are away.
- Close and lock all of your doors and windows whenever you are away from home.
- Don't announce vacation plans on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter.
- Don't post pictures to social media sites while you are away.
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries or ask a neighbor to pick them up.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home and keep up basic maintenance, like picking up packages and shoveling snow.
- Set up timers for interior and exterior lights.
- Don't leave valuable items in plain site. Store sensitive, expensive and important property in a secure place.
- Activate your alarm systems.
For more tips, review the Minneapolis Police Department's crime prevention resources Protecting Your Home While on Vacation
and Home Security Habits Checklist