Hennepin County Attorney
C-2000 Government Center
300 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487

General Info:

Follow us on Facebook

Nuisance and Problem Properties

What is a Public Nuisance?

A nuisance is a condition or behavior that creates an unsafe atmosphere and reduces the quality of life in a community. 

Nuisance activities include:
  • Drug dealing
  • Prostitution
  • Weapons violations
  • Unlawful alcohol sales
Conduct that unreasonably annoys, injures, or endangers the safety, health or comfort of members of the public is also considered a nuisance.

Read the relevant statutes: 609.74 PUBLIC NUISANCE609.745 PERMITTING PUBLIC NUISANCE.

Report Problems to the Police

Call 911 when you see criminal or suspicious activity.

Contact your local police department to report an ongoing nuisance problem property.  In Minneapolis, you can call 311 or submit an online police report regarding nuisance problems.

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office can also help you submit nuisance complaints and report other crimes.  You can contact us at 612-348-2146 or citizeninfo@co.hennepin.mn.us

Nuisance Complaints Make a Difference

The property owner and law enforcement are notified of the complaint.

When two or more complaints can be substantiated, a nuisance abatement plan is developed and the property is monitored for future violations.

If a property owner refuses to take action, the County Attorney can take the complaint to court and seek to prevent the owner from using the property.

Reporting a nuisance property or activity is a step you can take to prevent crime, keep neighborhoods safe and hold people accountable.