Murder charges brought in double Minneapolis homicide
A Farmington man was charged (PDF) with two counts of murder for the August slaying of two men sitting in a car in South Minneapolis, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Tuesday.
Dijon Cordell Sanders, 22, was charged with second-degree intentional murder in the deaths of two Minneapolis men, De’Von L. Burt, 18, and Keondray Q. Wilson, 20. He also was charged with two counts of attempted second-degree murder for shooting at two others who survived.
According to the criminal complaint, witnesses saw two men running through the alley in the 2600 block of 18th Avenue South about 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 25. Later, a witness told police that the suspects may have been Fat Man Scoop, an alias for Sanders, and Nutty. The witness also told police that the shooting may have been the result of a mistaken identity. The two men were going to shoot someone else, who looks like Wilson, the complaint states.
Burt was behind the wheel of a car and Wilson was in the seat behind him. According to the other two passengers, who were struck by bullets and treated at the hospital, the foursome had gone out to eat together, done some shopping in Uptown and had pulled into the alley. They were sitting in the car when the two men approached and fired 33 shots, according to the criminal complaint.
Police had been looking for Sanders for some time and he finally turned himself in over the weekend. No charges have been filed against anyone else in this case. Sanders first appearance is 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.