Thomas sentenced to 27 years for shooting three women

Monday, July 20, 2015

Delonte Ahshone Thomas was sentenced to 27 years in prison after being convicted of first and second degree attempted murder in the shooting of three women at a birthday party, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Monday.

Last month, a jury found Thomas, 20, guilty of attempted first-degree murder in the shooting of one of the women and three counts of attempted second-degree murder in the shooting of all three women.

Thomas’ defense attorney argued for a sentence of only 193 months. Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Michael Radmer, however, told Hennepin County District Court Judge Nicole Engisch that Thomas deserved to have all of the sentences run consecutively, which would have meant 486 months in prison. After much consideration, Judge Engisch handed down a sentence she said was “not entirely concurrent or consecutive.” Judge Engisch ran the first-degree count consecutive to one of the second-degree counts and the other second-degree count ran concurrently for a total of 333 months in prison.

According to the criminal complaint and testimony at the trial, Minneapolis police were dispatched to a residence in the 3500 block of Fremont Avenue N. at 1:30 a.m. on July 9, 2014, on report of a shooting. Upon arrival, officers observed three women, with significant injuries, on the ground in the backyard of the home. Witnesses reported that Thomas had gotten into an argument and left the birthday party only to return later and shoot the three women.

“Everybody makes mistakes and everybody deserves a second chance,” Thomas said when asked if he wanted to say anything. “I’m the peacemaker. I’m the one to try my best to make it through a situation. I don’t recall having a gun. I don’t recall shooting [anyone]. I just hope to get some type of mercy here.”