Second-degree murder charge filed against Minneapolis man

Monday, November 28, 2016

A Minneapolis man has been charged with second-degree murder in the stabbing death of another man that occurred last week, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Monday.

Robinson Fabrico Palacios-Castro, 19, has been charged with stabbing 29-year-old Elias B. Lopez-Lopez, of Minneapolis, who died the next morning at Hennepin County Medical Center.

According to the criminal complaint, police responded to a call, on Wednesday night, about a man armed with a knife who was fighting someone else. When the officers arrived, they found Lopez-Lopez, who had been stabbed multiple times, lying on his stomach on the steps of an apartment building in the 3000 block of Clinton Avenue South.

A witness at the scene told police that he had just come home from work and parked his car when he saw two men he knew fighting. One of the men he identified as Palacios-Castro. The witness said his cell phone wasn’t working so he ran into the apartment building to grab his sister’s and called 911. He came back out and saw Palacios-Castro stabbing Lopez-Lopez. The witness told Palacios-Castro that he had called police. Palacios-Castro ran south on Clinton, according to the statement given by the witness, who also told police that Palacios-Castro lived in a basement apartment in the building.

Lopez-Lopez was transported by ambulance to Hennepin County Medical Center. He was rushed into surgery, but died later as a result of the stab wounds, one of which hit his heart.

According to the complaint, officers had checked the basement apartment after speaking with the witness, but Palacios-Castro was not there. They returned 30-45-minutes later and could hear voices inside. A Spanish speaking officer announced their presence and ordered the door be opened. A male voice inside refused. The officer responded that they would force it open if he didn’t open the door. Then they heard the lock click and they opened it. Inside the apartment they saw Palacios-Castro and a woman.

Palacios-Castro was immediately apprehended. He motioned to his rear waistband and said, “It is here” and the officer located a kitchen-style knife.

Palacios-Castro is in custody and is expected to make his first court appearance Tuesday. The prosecution is requesting bail of $1 million.

Criminal Complaint (PDF)