Juvenile faces first-degree murder charge in killing of adult, baby

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office charged Jquan McInnis with four counts of first-degree murder in the weekend double homicide that included an eight-month old boy victim.

McInnis, 17, of Minneapolis, was charged with two counts each of premeditated murder and murder while committing a drive-by shooting. Even though McInnis still is a juvenile, the charges were filed in adult court because he had been previously certified as an adult for attempted first-degree robbery.

“This shooting is inexplicable,” Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said. “Mr. McInnis’ background shows no violence with a weapon of any sort. Nonetheless, he took the lives of two people so we will go to the grand jury for an indictment which will allow us to seek a maximum penalty of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years.”

According to the criminal complaint, witnesses reported that they saw McInnis, wearing a blue hoodie, standing outside a car which was parked near 26th Street East and 11th Avenue South in Minneapolis. Sitting in the back seat was 20-year-old Gustav Christianson. McInnis pulled out a gun and started shooting at Christianson.

McInnis then walked to the rear of the car and fired through the car’s back window. During the shooting, Jayden Redden was shot in the chest while strapped into his car seat, the complaint states. The witnesses said McInnis ran north through the alley. Police followed that route and found a blue hoodie in a garbage can near 25th Street East and 11th Avenue South.

All of the witness information led police to McInnis. After his arrest, he said he had been in an earlier dispute with Christianson and when McInnis saw him, he parked his car about a block away and crossed through several yards to confront Christianson, according to the complaint.

Prosecutors are seeking bail of $2 million for McInnis.

Criminal Complaint (PDF)

News conference video