St. Paul man charged in downtown shooting of innocent bystander

Monday, August 28, 2017

 A St. Paul man has been charged with two counts of assault for an early evening shooting in downtown Minneapolis last week, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Monday.

Besides the assault charges, Delorien Chatman, 28, was also charged with one count of possession of a firearm by an adjudicated delinquent. Bail was set at $500,000 due to the serious nature of endangering the safety of others.

“We requested a higher bail in this case because the alleged shooting by Mr. Chatman seriously injured an innocent man. As I’ve said before, we will continue to use the tools available to us to combat these senseless shootings.”

According to the criminal complaint, at about 7:17 p.m. on Tuesday, August 22, Minneapolis police responded to a shooting at 6th & Hennepin where they found a man with a gunshot wound to his stomach. Several witness confirmed that the victim was an innocent bystander.

Witnesses also said that two men had gotten into a fight and the man, who was the shooter, got knocked to the ground. He pulled out a gun and when he got up, fired a shot that hit the victim, and then ran away. Witnesses described in detail what the shooter was wearing. Based on this and surveillance video from the scene, Chatman was later apprehended wearing the same clothing.

The complaint states that Chatman denied being in Minneapolis the day of the shooting and said that he doesn’t go downtown. He continued to say this even after being shown clear images of him in Minneapolis.

Chatman is scheduled to make his first court appearance tomorrow.

Chatman-Delorien-cplt