Skip navigation

Hennepin County Vital Records Project

The Hennepin County Vital Records Project is a collaborative effort by the ICWA Law Center and the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office. It was developed in response to the need for easier access to vital records for families impacted by the child protection system.

What kind of records are you looking for?

  1. Birth certificate,

  2. Social Security card, and

  3. Tribal enrollment information.

Open all

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate is official documentation of a person’s birth. Minnesota law lists who may obtain birth documents and the law limits who can buy certain birth documents. You may buy a birth certificate for a person born in Minnesota from any Minnesota county vital records office. Or you may order a birth certificate from the state vital records office. For births before 1900, make your request to the county in which the birth occurred or the state vital records office. For more information, please visit the Minnesota Department of Health website: Birth Certificates - Minnesota Department of Health (

How much does it cost?

The standard fee for requesting a birth certificate is $26. Optional expedited processing and shipping options may be available for additional fees. Payment must be provided by check, money order, or credit card.

Who can apply?

Individuals or entities who are:

The subject of the record,
The child, grandchild, or great-grandchild of the subject,

The current spouse of the subject,

A parent named on the subject’s record, or a grandparent or great-grandparent of the subject,

A legal custodian, guardian, or conservator of the subject,
A health care agent of the subject (health care power of attorney is required),

A personal representative of the subject's estate,An adoption agency (for post-adoption searches required by law. Employee ID required),

A representative of a local, state, tribal or federal governmental agency, if the certified vital record is necessary for the governmental agency to perform its authorized duties (Employee ID required),
An attorney (Minnesota Attorney License Number or copy of non-Minnesota attorney license required),

A person with a court order directing release of the certificate (not a subpoena),

An authorized representative of anyone listed in the numbers one through four above. The representative must have a signed statement from that person which:

  • specifies the signer's relationship to the subject of the record,
  • provides information to identify the vital record,
  • identifies the representative by name, and
  • grants the representative permission to obtain the certificate.

How to apply?

In-person at a Minnesota county vital records office. For local contact information, please see the list here: County Vital Records Office Contacts - Minnesota Dept. of Health (

By mail or fax from the Office of Vital Records at the Minnesota Department of Health. The application, available here:, must be completed, notarized and mailed to Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, PO Box 64499, St. Paul, MN 55164-0499 or faxed to 866-416-1357. Find a notary here:

Documents needed. Unless specifically requested in the application document, no additional documents are needed beyond the application itself. Additional documentation may be necessary in order to establish the identity or authority necessary to request a birth certificate on behalf of another individual.

Social Security Cards

How much does it cost?

Free! There are no fees for a new or replacement Social Security card.

Who can apply?

You can apply for yourself or on behalf of your minor child. Children under 18 can also apply on their own behalf.

How to apply? 

1. Online applications for replacement cards are now available if (1) you are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address; (2) are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and (3) have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from one of the participating states or the District of Columbia. To begin, start here:

2. You can apply in-person at 1811 Chicago Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55404. The application is available here:

What documents are required?

Evidence of age. In general, a birth certificate is required. In some situations, the Social Security Administration may be willing to accept other documents that show proof of age, including: 

1. U.S. hospital record of birth.
2. Religious record established before age five.
3. Passport.

4. Final adoption decree.

Evidence of identity. Documents issues in the U.S. are preferred:

1. Diver's license.
2. State-issued identity card.
3. Passport.

If you do not have one of the documents above, the SSA may accept other documents that show your legal name and biographical information such as a U.S. military identity card, Certificate of Naturalization, employee identity card, certified copy of medical record, health insurance care, Medicaid card, or school identify card/record. Birth certificates and Social Security cards are not acceptable forms of identity evidence.

Evidence of U.S. citizenship. In general, you must provide your U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport. Other acceptable documents include a Consular Report of Birth, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certificate of Naturalization. 

Evidence of immigration status. Non-citizens must provide a current, unexpired document issued by the Department of Homeland Security showing immigration status, such as Form I-551, I-94, or I-766. 

Minnesota is home to 11 federally-recognized Indian tribes. There are seven Anishinaabe reservations and four Dakota communities.


For information on how to enroll in a tribe or to obtain tribal identification, please refer to the contact information found within each individual tab.

Phone: (218) 679-3341



Tribal Enrollment Department 

Red Lake Tribal Council

PO Box 555

Red Lake, MN 56671



Phone: (320) 564-3853



Upper Sioux Community

5722 Travers Lane

Granite Falls, MN 56241
Open all