Champlin man charged in failed murder-suicide
A Champlin man who failed in a murder-suicide involving his ex-wife has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Thursday.
Robert Michael Siegfried, who will turn 37 on Monday, made his first appearance on Sept. 8 and bail was set at $1 million. His next appearance is Oct. 8.
According to the criminal complaint, police were called to Siegfried’s Champlin house on a stabbing. After forcing open the front door, they found a large pool of blood in the entryway. In a bedroom, they found Siegfried who had hanged himself, but police were able to save him.
A neighbor came to the house and told police that a woman was nearby and she had been stabbed. Police called an ambulance for the woman, who had been stabbed about a half-dozen times in the neck and two or three times in the chest, the complaint states.
The woman told police that Siegfried was her ex-husband and that he sent her a text message telling her to come pick up their children. As soon as he opened the door, Siegfried began stabbing her. When she collapsed and feigned unconsciousness, Siegfried went to the computer and sent an email saying his ex-wife was dead and so was he, the complaint states. The woman was able to get out of the house before police arrived. The children were not at the house at the time.
Criminal complaint (PDF) (PLEASE NOTE: Due to technical glitch, charge in complaint is wrong. Should be attempted murder.