Man pleads guilty to stalking & terroristic threats against local DJ Mary Lucia


Patrick Henry Kelly pleaded guilty to felony stalking and terroristic threats against local DJ Mary Lucia, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Monday.

Jury selection was to begin on two separate stalking cases when Kelly, 56, of Eden Prairie, agreed to plead guilty Monday morning. Hennepin County District Court Judge William Koch conditionally accepted the guilty pleas and set Oct. 13 as the date to formally accept the pleas and sentence Kelly.

Judge Koch ordered a pre-sentence investigation and a mental health exam. Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Dan Allard also asked that Kelly be held in jail without bail until the October hearing and Judge Koch agreed.

Speaking in a clear, strong voice, Kelly said he understood he was giving up his right to a trial and other rights. “Yes, I want to take full responsibility,” he said of the crimes he committed. 

However, in answering questions from his lawyer and the judge, he also wanted to keep the record straight. He acknowledged that in July 2014, he was served with restraining orders from Lucia and from her company, Minnesota Public Radio, requiring him to stay away from Lucia, Lucia’s Minneapolis home and the MPR headquarters in St. Paul where she worked. When asked about a note in a plastic bag from him to Lucia found on her back step on Aug12, 2014, he admitted he did it, but denied he went into her yard, saying he just dropped it over the back fence.  He also admitted he left a bottle of wine, candle and note on her front stoop the same day.

Kelly admitted to leaving more letters and a bouquet of flowers on different days that same month. Judge Koch asked him if understood that the restraining order prohibited him from taking those actions.

“I did, but that was my state of mind,” Kelly answered.

The second pattern of stalking charge was from this past June and included sending Linked-in requests to two colleagues of Lucia. Kelly denied that, saying he went to Linked-in to shut down his account and he later heard that requests went out to not only those two but also his own family members he has not talked to in years.

Judge Koch said he understood, because he had received Linked-in requests from people who later told him they had not sent them out. So the lawyers and Koch allowed Allard to amend the charge from stalking to terroristic threats. He admitted that on June 20, he left her flowers and an envelope signed by him and acknowledged that given all the past conduct he had engaged in, that she would consider it a terroristic threat.