Prison sentence doubled in kidnapping, robbery, beating of UNBANK worker


A Columbia Heights man was sentenced to 20 years in prison for the kidnapping and severe beating of a woman outside her work, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

Early in the week, Henry Moore, 25, pleaded guilty to the kidnapping charge and an aggravated robbery charge, due in large part to the thorough investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department which produced an enormous amount of evidence against Moore. In addition, he admitted to several aggravating circumstances to the crime, which allowed Hennepin County District Court Judge Kathryn Quaintance to double the recommended sentence for kidnapping to 192 months and run the 48-month robbery sentence consecutively to the kidnapping at the Thursday afternoon sentencing.

“I thought she looked worse than many homicide cases I have seen,” Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Vicki Taylor told the judge, referring to the victim. “I’m very glad that if she had to have suffered this, that it was better a robbery than a murder case.”

In his guilty plea Monday, Moore admitted in court to the crime outlined in the criminal complaint. Specifically, that at about 9:20 p.m. on Oct. 21, police responded to an alarm at the UNBANK at 1508 W. Broadway. They found the employee of UNBANK screaming for help with significant injuries to her face, forehead, eyes, chest, and neck. She told police that she locked up the store and headed to her car, where two men grabbed her and shoved her into the backseat.

Moore admitted that they assaulted her with a taser and a hammer, demanding that she tell them the combination to the UNBANK safe. When she refused, they drove around, continuing the torture until returning to the UNBANK nearly two hours later. She relented and was going to open the safe, but they tripped the alarm and fled.

“She felt she would be killed if she gave them the combination,” Taylor told the court.

Judge Quaintance asked Moore if he had anything to say and he simply responded, “Nope.”

Police still are working to identify Moore’s accomplice in the case.