Jury convicts man in Target Field shooting


A jury found a Brooklyn Center man guilty of two counts of attempted murder for the benefit of a gang in the April shooting outside Target Field, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Monday.

The jury deliberated over parts of two days before convicting James Davis, 28, for shooting  Kibbie Walker and Cortez Blakemore as they left their cleaning job at Target Field on April 12. Davis will be sentenced March 19 at 10 a.m.

“This was a difficult case because the main victim was not cooperative and did not want to say who shot him,” Freeman said. “But the jury did an excellent job of listening to all the evidence we put forth. We are determined to stop these gang shootings.”

Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Thad Tudor, in his closing arguments Friday morning, noted that Walker, despite being shot in the chest and the abdomen, did not help on the witness stand.

“You saw Kibbie Walker try to tank this case,” Tudor said. “He said, ‘I don’t know who shot me.’ This is the don’t snitch crowd.’’

According to the criminal complaint, Walker and Blakemore were just leaving their new job cleaning up after a Twins night game just before 3 a.m. As they were walking out of the left field gate, three men in hooded sweatshirts came up to them and began shooting. Blakemore was seriously injured when a bullet hit his spinal cord.

Tudor said that while Walker was not helpful on the witness stand, his recorded interview with police was informative, including when Walker picked Davis out of a photo lineup. Another witness testified that Davis joined him and others at the Flameburger restaurant and said he did the shooting and to watch the news.

The complaint, and testimony during the trial, indicated that this was a feud between two gangs. Davis is a member of the 1-9s and Walker is a member of the Taliban. Walker admitted to police that he made a YouTube video making fun of the shooting death at the Epic Nightclub of 1-9s leader Tyrone Washington.

Walker also will be sentenced next month. In December, he pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated assault for shooting repeatedly at a car at Chicago Avenue and Eighth Street on April 30.