Juvenile guilty of 11 robbery charges in Minneapolis, Edina


Antonio Timberlake pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery and assault in a crime spree that left two injured and put residents of southwestern Minneapolis and neighboring Edina on edge, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Wednesday.

Timberlake, 17, of Minneapolis, entered a straight plea of guilty to all 11 counts in four separate criminal complaints. The straight plea means there was no deal with prosecutors regarding prison time. Timberlake could receive 172 months or more in prison when he is sentenced March 2 before Hennepin County District Court Judge William Koch. Timberlake entered the guilty plea during a pre-trial hearing Tuesday.

“For the sake of the six robbery victims, and for the sake of the neighborhood, we are glad to have Mr. Timberlake’s guilty plea,” Freeman said. “Two of these victims suffered life-threatening stab wounds so he is a threat to public safety. We will be seeking at least 14 years in prison at the sentencing.”

The four robberies were similar to one committed just after midnight on March 17. An Edina man got off the Metro Transit bus at Xerxes Avenue and 56th Street and began walking west on 56th. Timberlake, who was then 16, and a 13-year-old boy got off the bus at the same stop and eventually caught up to the victim and beat him. They took his satchel and a cell phone. He was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries including a blow to the head and a stab wound to the neck which hit an artery. In a similar robbery on March 28, the victim was stabbed in the chest, puncturing his right lung.

The only incident that was different, and which led to Timberlake’s arrest, was a robbery of three juveniles in the Southdale Mall parking lot on March 30. Timberlake and the 13-year-old were joined by Navarr Ross, 18, of Minneapolis. The three stole a cell phone and a backpack. They fled into a nearby neighborhood where police arrested all three.

Ross was convicted on two counts of aggravated robbery and in December was sentenced to 68 months in prison. No information is available on the 13-year-old accomplice because juvenile court records are not public.