Mary Lucia's stalker gets probation, 10-block restriction


Mary Lucia described, in that mellifluous voice familiar to Twin Cities radio listeners, the devastating impact her stalker has had on her life, and then watched as he was sentenced to five years on probation for stalking and terroristic threats Wednesday.

Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Dan Allard requested that Patrick Henry Kelly receive the maximum length of probation, that he be barred from going within 10 blocks of Lucia’s Minneapolis home or her St. Paul workplace and that he pay restitution of $9,222.99. Hennepin County District Court Judge William Koch agreed with all of those requests and that he serve 270 days in the county workhouse. However, he already had spent 197 days in jail and that exceeded the time he would have had to serve because of time off for good conduct. He was released later Wednesday morning.

Kelly, 56, of Eden Prairie, agreed to plead guilty to the two counts on Aug. 31. He began stalking Lucia in the summer of 2014 and by that July, she had taken out a restraining order against Kelly requiring him to stay away from Lucia, her company, Minnesota Public Radio, and her home. On Aug. 12, 2014, Kelly had placed a plastic bag with a handwritten letter on the back step of her house, but during his guilty plea, claimed that he had tossed it over her fence.

Wednesday, Lucia sat at the prosecutor’s table between her two brothers, Jim Boquist and the Replacement’s Paul Westerberg and gave her victim impact statement.

“For the record, Lebron James could not have thrown the letter over my fence and land it in the middle of my step,” Lucia said.

She described how during her 21 years at various Twin Cities radio stations, she talked often about her love of animals, so there were no red flags when a listener sent an email saying his dog had died. She sent him an email back expressing her sympathies. But unlike most listeners, he continued to write and soon when she came to work she was greeted with packages; one time five pounds of raw meat, another time a photo of a masked man and a third time some children’s toys.

“I would dread going to work to see what horror had been dropped off,” she said.

One day, she had a voicemail on her cell phone from Kelly, and now she was scared, wondering how he got the private number and what other information he had. The rest of the summer was terrible for her, Lucia said.

“I never opened my windows,” she told the court. “I jumped whenever the motion sensors went off. I triple-locked my doors. When I went to bed at night, I slept with a baseball bat and a cell phone near me.”

Lucia said she could not sleep, could not eat and lost significant weight. Panic attacks sent her to the emergency room and every time a stranger approaches her at a rock concert, she felt threatened.

“My whole sense of self is in question,” she said. “It has left me feeling powerless.”

Kelly does not know her, Lucia said, and never will. He is delusional, cannot leave her alone and is unaware of what he has done to her, she added.

“If he makes one more attempt to contact me, it will ruin his life,” she concluded. “And for what?”

Kelly declined to say anything when it was his turn, telling Judge Koch, “I have already said enough at this time, thank you.”

Judge Koch laid out in detail the conditions of Kelly’s probation, including the fact that if he should be in a store or shopping center and Lucia happens to walk in, Kelly must leave immediately. Kelly said he understood. Judge Koch also ordered Kelly to undergo a mental health evaluation and cognitive skills training. He also warned Kelly that if he violates any of the conditions of probation, he would be back before the judge with the possibility of being sent to prison.