Cory Morris charged with murder of four-month-old daughter


Cory Clifford Morris has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of his four-month-old daughter, Emersyn, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Tuesday.

Morris, 21, of Minneapolis, admitted to the initial responders that he struck his baby with a closed fist multiple times. The baby was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center where emergency medical personnel attempted unsuccessfully to treat her critical injuries. She had severe bruising and swelling to her face and chest area, and was pronounced dead from blunt force trauma.

“This poor baby, just four-months-old, died at the hands of her father, who has admitted to punching her 15 times with a closed fist and hitting her seven times in the chest.  As a father and grandfather, such brutal actions are difficult for me to comprehend,” said Mike Freeman. “Family members have suggested there may be mental health issues here.  These will need to be evaluated during the course of this case.”

According to the criminal complaint, police, fire and ambulance personnel responded to an emergency call on Sunday afternoon on the report that a father had called 911 and admitted killing his baby. When police arrived on the scene, they saw paramedics and firefighters performing CPR on a four-month-old infant girl. She was unconscious and the officers saw blood on the wall and floor near the changing table in the baby’s room.

When the officers on the scene placed Morris under arrest, his clothing, hands and arms were covered in dried blood and officers noticed swelling to his right hand.

After he was in custody, Morris told officers that he lives with his girlfriend who is the mother of Emersyn. The mother left for work that day and Morris was home alone with the baby. He said he was watching TV when she began making noises, which he described as baby talk. He took her out of her baby swing and carried her into her bedroom, where he placed her on the changing table. The baby continued making noises and Morris hit her to quiet her.

His girlfriend told officers that Morris watches the baby three to four times a week while she is at work. She had attempted to reach him throughout the day, but he did not respond to text messages. At approximately 4:45 p.m. she spoke to Morris and he told her he was going to jail because he had done something to their baby.

Morris is in custody and will make his first appearance tomorrow afternoon.

Morris Criminal Complaint (PDF)