Foth pleads guilty in Eden Prairie murder, robbery


Nathan Foth pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing the grandfather of his friend and detailed how he hid in the man’s house for a couple of days before the murder, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Tuesday.

Foth, 24, of Le Seuer, will be sentenced on July 14 on the single count of intentional second-degree murder. Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Thad Tudor and Foth’s attorney will argue that he be sentenced between 23 and 32 years in prison for the July 21 murder of 74-year-old Allen Retzer.

Under questioning from his attorney, Foth told Hennepin County District Court Judge Jeannice Reding that a couple of days earlier, he had been at a hospital emergency room, being treated for a drug emergency. After about an hour he was released from the hospital, but he didn’t know where to go.

However, in the past he had gone with a friend to visit his friend’s grandfather in Eden Prairie. He decided to go to that house and was able to push open a basement window. Foth said he then hid in the basement for about two days, often staying in a closet so he would not be found by Retzer.

During that time, Foth said he was hearing voices and he was having discussions with himself. However, by the time he decided to take a knife and go upstairs, he was no longer hearing voices.

Foth went late in the evening and found Retzer sleeping in his bed. A struggle ensued and Foth stabbed Retzer several times, he admitted, adding that he knew what he was doing and it was not self-defense. Later, Foth seemed to surprise his attorney when he contradicted him and said that he did plan to kill Foth. He also agreed with a doctor who had examined him and said he could not claim he was not guilty by reason of mental illness.

Once Retzer was dead, Foth admitted that he stole a gun case, credit cards, money and a van. He also cleaned himself up in the bathroom before leaving.

The van was later recovered in Utah and police arrested Foth when he returned on a bus from Oregon.