Two charged in January fatal shooting near Dinkytown


Anthony Dale Klitzke, 18, and Clinton Angwenyi Omuya, 25, were charged in the January murder of 23-year-old Desean L. Daggs, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Thursday.

Klitzke was charged by juvenile petition with second-degree murder and second-degree assault. He was 17 when the crime was committed. Omuya was charged with second-degree murder and aiding an accomplice after the fact.

According to the petition and criminal complaint, on Jan. 7, at approximately 2:13 a.m., officers were called to a residence in the 500 block of 12th Avenue Southeast on the report of a shooting. They found Daggs lying on the sidewalk, fatally shot in the chest.

Officers spoke to several witnesses who said they were at a party at the house and were on the back porch talking and smoking cigarettes when Klitzke pointed a handgun at the group and fired several times in their direction. He then fled.

One witness, identified as C.S., said he saw Klitzke get into an argument with Daggs.Then Klitzke pointed the gun at him and fired six or seven shots. C.S. was struck in the right thigh. He  identified Klitzke as the shooter in a six-person photo line-up, according to the petition.

Investigators learned from multiple witnesses that the motive behind the shooting was a prior incident between Daggs and Omuya, the complaint states. Witnesses informed investigators that approximately a year prior, Daggs had attempted to rob Omuya. During the course of the robbery, Omuya was shot. Since the robbery, Omuya informed numerous people that he was going to kill Daggs.  

Investigators spoke to the host of the January party. He said he knew both Klitzke and Omuya. Prior to arriving at the party, Omuya called the host and asked if the party was still going on and if Daggs was still there, according to the complaint.

Investigators obtained surveillance video footage from the scene in which Omuya’s Mercedes can be seen pulling up in front of the residence at approximately 2:06 a.m. and the car remained double parked there. A male passenger exits the vehicle and approaches the house. At approximately 2:11 a.m., the same male is observed running from the residence, jumping into Omuya’s car, which sped away.

Omuya is expected to make his first court appearance Friday and prosecutors have asked that Klitzke be certified as an adult.

Omuya Criminal Complaint (PDF)

Klitzke Petition (PDF)