Hennepin County Attorney’s Office response to recent car-jacking suppression detail
During the recent car-jacking suppression detail, Brandon Rock, of St. Paul, was arrested and charged with a series of car-jackings in Minneapolis. Last week’s announcement by the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office said the 41 arrests were made by the car-jacking taskforce, but clearly stated they were “felony-level arrests,” not necessarily car-jacking arrests. The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office charged 10 of the 11 cases presented as a result of this operation. Other people initially detained by police may still be under investigation, but no case has been submitted to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office to date. Still others may have committed crimes that were not felonies and so may have been referred to the city attorney’s office for possible charges. In fact, the only case not charged by the county attorney’s office did not rise to the level of a felony but may be considered for prosecution by the city attorney. Finally, some individuals may have been arrested on warrants on pending cases.
Below is a list of individuals that have been charged thus far, along with their age, court file number and custody status as of Sunday:
- M.G. (16), second-degree assault, 27-JV-20-4167, Juvenile Detention Center.
- Tyler Hopwood (21), possession of explosives, 27-CR-20-26456, Court-ordered conditional release.
- Julist King (31), possession of a firearm-convicted of crime of violence, 27-CR-20-26450, Adult Detention Center.
- Quentin Morrison (27), violation of no contact order and fifth-degree drug possession, 27-CR-20-26584, posted bail.
- Joe Mullins (26), fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, 27-CR-20-26578, Adult Detention Center.
- Dalon Reed (30), fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, 27-CR-20-26579, posted bail.
- Brandon Rock (20), aggravated robbery (four counts), attempted aggravated robbery and second-degree assault, 27-CR-20-26436, Adult Detention Center.
- Jakob Smith (33), fifth-degree drug possession, 27-CR-20-26563, Adult Detention Center (being held on parole violation).
- William Suttles (22), possession of a firearm-convicted of crime of violence, 27-CR-20-26570, Adult Detention Center.
- Marcel Thompson (24), second-degree riot, 27-CR-20-26459, Court-ordered conditional release.
As always, if the investigations into any of the others arrested result in cases being submitted to the county attorney’s office, they will be reviewed for possible felony charges.