Domestic Abuse Service Center

The Domestic Abuse Service Center (DASC) is a one-stop center that provides victims of domestic violence with ready access to services. These services are provided in a safe and convenient location.

DASC is located on the lower level of the Hennepin County Government Center behind the cafeteria. It is served by multiple bus routes and the Government Plaza Station on the METRO Blue Line.

It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, closed legal holidays.

Expand all information


The DASC office and staff reflect a unique collaboration among law enforcement agencies and domestic abuse service providers. The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office, Fourth District Court, Hennepin County Sherriff’s Department, and a range of social service organizations all have regular office hours.

Advocates from these community agencies are available:

  • Asian Women United
  • Casa de Esperanza
  • Division of Indian Work
  • Immigrant Women’s/Brian Coyle Center
  • OutFront Minnesota
  • Phyllis Wheatley Community Center

The staff is ethnically and culturally diverse. Many advocates are bi-lingual. Some specialize in work with particular populations, such as with the Latino, Somali, Hmong and GLBT community.

There is a deputy sheriff on site to provide security.


Strong advocacy is a critical piece of effective intervention at DASC. Advocates help victims navigate the system by filling out paperwork and filing for Orders for Protection. They can also explain and advocate for victims in criminal domestic violence cases.

Criminal Complaint

If someone you have had a domestic relationship with has hurt you or your children, placed you in fear or damaged your property, a criminal complaint may be started. An advocate can explain this process to you.

A prosecutor may meet with you to take additional information to help put the case together. Probation staff are also available to answer any questions you may have.


Advocates can explain the civil and criminal court processes. They can help make referrals and may be able to go to court with you. They will help you develop a safety plan and explore other issues you may have.

Legal Advocacy Programs

Asian Women United: 612-724-8823
City of Minneapolis: 311
Cornerstone Intervention: 952-884-0330
Domestic Abuse Project: 612-673-3526
Sojourner Projects Community and Intervention Project: 952-935-1004
St. Paul Intervention: 651-645-2824
Tubman Legal Services: 612-825-3333
Women of Nations: 651-222-5836

Legal Advice

Lawyer Referral: 612-752-6666
Legal Aid: 612-332-1441
Tubman Chrysalis Center: 612-871-0118
Volunteer Lawyers Network: 612-752-6677

Order for Protection

If a family, household member or someone with whom you had a romantic relationship has physically hurt you, or threatened to physically to hurt you or your children, you can ask the court for an Order for Protection (OFP).

Advocates can help you apply for an OFP.

Steps to file for an OFP:

  • DASC staff will help you fill out the paperwork
  • They will file your order and give it to the sheriff for service

There is no filing fee.

If you want to make sure your order was served, call the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office at 612-348-3800.

An OFP can protect you by:

  • Ordering your abuser not to harm you or others listed in the order, such as children, other family members or pets
  • Ordering your abuser to stay away from your home and areas specified in the order, such as your place of work, school, daycare or other locations
  • Ordering the abuser to not contact you in person, over the phone, by mail, email or electronic messaging, through a third party, or by any other means such as social media
  • Allowing the police to arrest your abuser if he or she violates the order

Additional information about OFPs from District Court.

Safety and security

The safety of staff and visitors is taken very seriously. A Hennepin County Sheriff’s deputy is always on site to provide security.

Advocates can help you develop a safety plan and explore your legal options, including filing for an Order for Protection.

Interpreter services

If you need an interpreter, one will be provided as soon as possible.

Bilingual advocates are available. Languages spoken by staff include Bengali, Cambodian, Hindi, Hmong, Somali and Spanish. Interpreters are available for other languages.

Collapse all information