Skip navigation

Mental health and substance use services

24-7 mental health crisis services

Visit the mental health emergencies page.

Visiting county buildings

  • Visitors to most county buildings are not required to wear a mask.
  • Visitors may still be required to wear a mask in certain county buildings, including correctional, detention, and health care settings. Follow instructions from signage and building staff.
  • Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated or at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 or who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not enter county buildings, when possible. If these visitors must enter, they should wear a mask.
Open all

Drug addiction, also called substance use disorder, is a disease that affects a person's brain and behavior and leads to an inability to control the use of a legal or illegal drug or medication. Substances such as alcohol, marijuana and nicotine also are considered drugs. When you're addicted, you may continue using the drug despite the harm it causes.

If you live in Minnesota, there is a wide range of services available for substance use assessment, treatment, and withdrawal management for adults, along with treatment options for adolescents. Hennepin County residents are encouraged to use Fast-Tracker, an online resource that lets users search for programs and services specific to their needs.

Behavioral health fund

The program can talk to you about payment options including the behavioral health fund, which allows eligible residents to obtain services free of charge. Those who are on Medical Assistance (MA) or MNsure already qualify. Monthly spend downs also apply when accessing licensed substance use disorder (SUD) services.

Hennepin Health members have access to all programs that accept the behavioral health fund without needing prior approval. The program an individual selects can send all placement information to the county’s Addiction and Recovery Services Unit.

More information

Call Hennepin County’s Addiction and Recovery Services Unit at 612-879-3671 or visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services for additional information on getting help.

Call Hennepin County’s Front Door at 612-348-4111 to inquire about a mobile assessment if you are hospitalized and unable to complete an in-person or telehealth assessment.

To learn more about withdrawal management and detox services, contact:

Services include assessments, individual and family therapy, in-home counseling and skills training, day treatment, and case management.

These services aim to support and improve children's:

  • Social and emotional development and well-being
  • Relationships with family and friends, and
  • Ability to function effectively at home, in school and in the community

Common children’s mental health issues

  • Problems getting along with peers or adults
  • Inability to control anger or aggression
  • Inability to manage worries, troubling thoughts or feelings
  • Not being able to pay attention or focus
  • Feeling sad or worthless
  • Engaging in risky or self-injurious behavior
  • Inability to cope with significant losses, traumas, major life events and changes
  • Other difficulties related to a child’s mood, behavior, thoughts or relationships

Addressing your child’s mental health needs

We can speak with you about options for helping your child including:

  • Getting your child assessed for their mental health needs
  • Helping identify options regardless of your insurance coverage or ability to pay
  • Options for case management services (ongoing support)

Call Hennepin County Front Door at 612-348-4111 or email at

Ongoing support (case management)

Case managers work with parents to support children with serious mental health issues.

They create a plan for a child’s needs: social, emotional, health, school and vocational.

To get a case manager:

  • A mental health professional must assess the child
  • The assessment must show that the child has a severe emotional disturbance

For questions

Call our Front Door at 612-348-4111 or email at

If you have health insurance or are on medical assistance

Call your health plan's member services or your doctor.

If you do not have health insurance

Call 612-596-1300 or toll free 844-803-8466, or visit our health care assistance page.

If you still have questions

Call Hennepin County Front Door at 612-348-4111.

You can call that number Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. except holidays.

You will speak with someone to help you identify your needs and offer options for service.

We may refer you to services or agencies for treatment and support. These could include:

  • Adult rehabilitative mental health services (ARMHS)
  • Community support program access
  • Intensive residential treatment
  • Outpatient mental health services
  • Case management
  • Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
  • Supportive housing
  • Supportive employment
  • Chemical health assessment and treatment
  • Connections to resources in the community
Open all